Replacing a dead seed node¶
In Scylla it is not possible to bootstrap a seed node. The following steps describe how to replace a dead seed node
Verify that the node is a seed node. Use the command below.
cat /etc/scylla/scylla.yaml | grep seeds:
If the dead node’s IP is in the seeds list it needa to be replaced.
- Perform steps 1-3 for all the nodes in the cluster:
- Promote an existing node from the cluster to be a seed node by adding the node IP to the seed list in the
scylla.yamlfile. It can be found under
- Remove the dead node IP from the seeds providers list
- Restart the node in the cluster using
CentOS, RHEL or Ubuntu 16.04
sudo systemctl restart scylla-server
Ubuntu 14.04 or Debian
sudo service scylla-server restart
- Replace the dead node using the Replace a dead node procedure
It is recommended to have more than one seed node in your cluster (it’s not allowed to define all the node in the cluster as seed node).